Director of Operations
Indicative price: € 1000 - 1125 / day
"The greatest danger we face is not to aim too high and miss, but rather to choose too low a goal and reach it" - Michelangelo
Michel is available from the 01-07-2021
Michel is available for missions Full time, Time sharing, Special mission
Michel moves to the International level
The expert in a few words....
As a specialist in Operations Management within technical service companies and in industry, I accompany companies in their transformation, the anchoring of new organizations and the search for improvements in operational performance. I always pay great attention to the human aspect of organizations.
His specific skills
- Management: multidisciplinary teams of 10 to 1,000 people (shift and itinerant staff). Hierarchical and transversal management. Organizational Optimization - Operational Excellence - Productivity Improvement - Organizational Transformation
- Human Resources : - Recruitment, - Employee loyalty, - Implementation of training plans that pull employees upwards.
- Start-up of an international subsidiary (Buenos Aires - Argentina): commercial prospecting, company structuring, recruitment, team training.
- Multi-technical maintenance (preventive, conditional, corrective) Maintenance methods - Assistance in starting up large contracts - Improvement of productivity and margins.
Michel has 40 years of experience
Services pour l’environnement
September 2013 - August 2015
Spie Batignolles Energie
Eaubonne - France
Development of the "maintenance contracts" activity and of a plumbing service.
Pétrole et énergie
January 2010 - August 2013
Technical Maintenance Manager
Villeurbanne - France
Expert support to operational staff to develop the added value of maintenance services: - Energy and environmental efficiency: Development of contracts with commitments. - Maintenance methods: Start-up of new contracts - Assistance with contract operation - CMMS. - Development of skills: training of project managers and technicians. - Technical and regulatory watch: development of innovation. - Management of the ISO 9001 quality system: follow-up and renewal audits. - Expertise and measures: progress plans, resolution of technical problems, etc.
Pétrole et énergie
February 1996 - December 2009
Nantes - France
Commercial, financial, technical and administrative management of the company's maintenance activity: €102 million in turnover, 9 regions and 40 agencies, 970 people including 750 technicians (70% travelling and 30% on fixed site). - Implementation of an offensive sales development policy (turnover + 100%: €50 to 102 million in 6 years). - Rationalisation of purchases (significant gains on subcontracting) and close monitoring of agencies in difficulty (example: on a €5M/year contract, gain of €150K on subcontracting). - Improvement of margins on non-contracted services: control of costing and execution, reduction of non-quality costs (evolution of the sales coefficient from 1.30 to 1.42). - Mobilization of project managers to improve productivity: implementation of quarterly business and results re-analyses and improvement action plans (Ebit increased from 5 to 8%). - Development of small-scale work outside of contracts (in 6 years, increase from 30% to 40% of total sales). - Management of teams in the context of purchases and mergers. - Management of bi-national contracts and/or consortia - Axima Mandataire (Eurotunnel Groupement FR/UK - 60 pers. - 5 M€/year; European Parliament - Grouping - 58 people - 5 M€/year) - Customer loyalty: improvement of the contract renewal rate (from 60 to 85%). - Strengthening of customer proximity through the creation of new regional agencies (7 agencies created). - Recruitment and training of top managers: 20 junior engineers recruited and trained. - Implementation of a human resources policy aimed at reducing the turnover of Agency Directors and Business Managers (reduction in turnover from 10 to 2% annually). - Improvement in safety results: Frequency rate (FT) divided by 3 (21% to 7%).
January 1992 - August 1995
Buenos Aires - Argentina
Start-up of Dalkia's Argentine subsidiary in the field of maintenance services in the tertiary and industrial sectors. After 3 years of existence, the turnover was 10 M€ per year, the company had about 100 employees and was at break-even. - Development of commercial arguments (long-term contracts at the end of hyperinflation). - Prospecting for clients and preparation of commercial offers. - Adaptation of the company's organisation to each stage of its development.
Mines et métaux
July 1990 - January 1992
Head of the Energy and Environment Department
Arcelor Mittal (Sollac)
Dunkerque - France
- Operation and maintenance of energy and fluid distribution networks. - Recovery of industrial gases produced by the coking plant, blast furnaces and steel mill (sale to the nearby EDF power plant). - Negotiation of energy and fluid supply contracts (electricity, water, gas, oxygen, etc.). - Promotion of sustainable development actions with environmental protection associations. - Annual reduction of 4% of the service's operating costs.
Mines et métaux
February 1985 - June 1990
Director of Operations
Heckette Multiserv - Somafer
Grande Synthe - France
Operational manager of all industrial cleaning and metal treatment activities for steel customers (350 people, 30 M€ turnover). Supervision of the execution of contracts, commercial development, guarantee of profitability. Activities : - Decryption of steel mill slabs, oxycutting and grinding of steel sheets at the rolling mill exit (operation of 5 production workshops in the plant with 100 workers in 3X8), - Industrial cleaning (high-pressure cleaning, hydro-cleaning, etc.), - Treatment of steelworks slag. - Reduction of production costs: Planning of interventions - Implementation of a management follow-up. - Diversification of the clientele to reduce dependence on the steel industry. - Installation and development of prototype automated machines. - Management of production staff in 3x8. - Creation of a relationship of trust with the Customer (contract renewal with significant added value).
Ingénierie mécanique ou industrielle
February 1982 - February 1985
Ingénieu Process Blast Furnaces
Montreuil - France
Participation in blast furnace refurbishment projects (at Sollac Dunkerque) from the design stage to site supervision and commissioning. Management of a design office of 6 people. Integration of prefabrication as much as possible in order to shorten the downtime of the blast furnace.
Conseil en management
July 2021 - February 2017
Paris - France
Realization of several missions of Transition Management. Accompanied companies in their transformation and search for improvements in operational processes.
- 1977 : Ingénieur Civil des Mines (Ecole des Mines de Nancy)
- 1974 : Classes préparatoires aux concours d'entrée aux écoles d'ingénieurs
- 1972 : Baccalauréat série C (Lycée Franco Mexicain de Mexico)
- July 2020 to present - Engie Solutions (Ineo) - Interim Manager - Operations Director - Le Havre (Mission pourvue par Talents & Projets) The overall objective of the mission is to rebuild the management and operational base of the Agency on a human and organizational level by ensuring, alongside the Agency Director, the management and coordination of all operational teams (Business Managers, Assistant Business Managers, Works Supervisors, Technicians): - Steering of human resources: - To detail the mapping of the skills of the Agency's personnel, and to update the training needs and the follow-up of the authorizations. - Take control of resource allocation. Leading the Agency's operational planning and the Planning Meeting allowing its weekly update. Adapt the allocation of resources to the sites according to their skills. To balance the activity on all the staff. - Review the organization of the Agency at the level of operational teams and management. Adapt the structure to the appropriate level of skills. Establish the rites and responsibilities of managers. - Steering of the margin and the risks on the sites: - Conduct an audit of low margin business. Control the contracts sold and identify the differences in their realization. Break down by contract the hours sold and the hours effectively carried out both on the sites and in the Design Office. - Examine the application and appropriation of INEO business management methods, tools and processes (Finance, QSE, etc.). Clarify the distribution of tasks, roles and responsibilities. - To study the optimization of shared services with the Networks Agency (Assistanat, Purchasing). - Quality of service delivery: - Check the human resources and the organisation in place in the field. - Controlling the processes from order taking to the completion of the business. Ensure the quality of the services provided in relation to what has been sold (under/over quality).
- January 2020 to May 2020 - Cofely Airport and Logistics Systems - Transition Manager - Senior Project Manager (end of mission following the closure of Orly airport) Assistance to the start-up of the maintenance contract for the baggage sorting installations on the whole of Orly airport - Steering of the "maintenance methods" teams. Objective: to make up for the delay of more than 3 months and to be ready for the operational phase on May 2 May 2, 2020. Quality Assurance Plan (QAP) - Characterisation of equipment - Choice of maintenance methods - Training plan for the 30 technicians assigned to the contract - Establishment of maintenance schedules - Definition of spare parts stock - Parameterisation of the CMMS - Updating of the EDM - Intervention operating procedures
- Oct. 2018 to Sept. 2019 - Valtus - Transition Manager - Agency Director - Bordeaux/Biarritz Management of a team of 70 employees Replacement at short notice of the incumbent - Ensure operational continuity - Change management - Improvement of the collaboration with the Operational Agencies - Deployment of mobility tools - Improvement of the operational performance: implementation and piloting with KPIs - Improve the intervention process - Manage the performance of interventions (300,000 per year) - Reorganize regionally the Automation and Industrial IT teams - Assistance to the start-up of a national logistics platform
- June 2018 to Sept. 2018 - REEL for Orano at La Hague - Transition Manager - Contract Director Steering of the Multitechnical Maintenance contract that links the IMAC GIE (REEL+AEMCO+ORANO DS) to the Orano company on the La Hague plant site (170 people) : Objectives: to improve relations with the customer, to reduce maintenance work in progress (preventive and corrective), to structure the team with the right skills, to improve the profitability of the contract. - To ensure relations with the Customer, - Ensure relations with the 3 partners of the GIE, - Organize the maintenance teams, - Audit skills and define recruitment needs, - Implementation of an action plan to reduce the outstanding preventive and corrective maintenance, - Define the target organisation after the first year of the contract, an organisation that should ensure the performance of the contractual services under good conditions as well as the economic balance of the contract, - Initiate operational excellence actions.
- Oct.2017 to May 2018 - Valtus - Transition Manager - Branch Manager - Anzin/Compiègne Replacement of the incumbent at short notice - Ensure operational continuity - Change management - Internal and external recruitments - Stabilization of teams - Site closure - Presentation of reorganization projects to the IRP - Remotivation of teams - Stabilization of the new organization
- February 2017 to Oct. 2017 - Valtus - Transition Manager - Branch Manager - Dijon/Mulhouse Replacement at short notice of the incumbent - Ensure operational continuity - Change management - Internal recruitments - Stabilization of teams - Transfer of activity to another site - Integration of new geographical perimeters - Transformation of organizations
- Spanish : fluent
- English : fluent
- Management of complex projects
- Operational Excellence
- Change management
- Improvement of operational performance
- Transformation of organizations
- BU management
- Project management
- Optimization of organizations
Activity areas (5)
- Management Consulting
- Renewables & Environment
- Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
- Environmental Services
Types of business (4)
- Companies in difficulty
- Subsidiaries of foreign groups
- Groups and large companies
- Small and medium-sized enterprises